Michael Thurmond’s 6 Week Body Makeover is a method of losing weight and reshaping the body in a relatively short period of time.
The 6 week body makeover was developed over a number of years by fitness expert Michael Thurmond, a member of the ‘Extreme Team’ on the Extreme Makeover television series.
The 6 week body makeover is not a diet involving special meals, drinks or pills. Rather it is a customized process of learning your own reaction to particular foods, then combining them in your diet so that your unique metabolism burns more fat.
This together with the exercise program which is part of the purchased package, is claimed to ‘make over’ the body to achieve the desired result in 6 weeks.
The package comprises a kit which includes a starting-up video, a body ‘blueprinting’ Kit, exercise bands training video, custom eating body shaping plans, a guide for dining out, a ‘Living Lean’ program audio cassette, a recipe guide/menu planner, and possibly a bonus 6 Day Mini Makeover (see below). It is sold via an infomercial format and is priced at more than $170.
The 6 Week Body Makeover Plan
The 6 week body makeover has these main components:
- Identify your type of metabolism by filling out a questionnaire, and reprogram it for maximum fat burning.
- Eat those foods that work with your particular metabolism to lose weight rapidly, despite eating more of the foods that
cause weight-loss while reducing foods that cause you weight-gain.
- Determine your body type, its unique problem areas, and your ultimate goal, in order to exercise less (18 minutes twice a week is quoted) and reshape your body in as little as 6 weeks, losing up to 30 pounds in that time.
- Learn how to keep excess weight off after the makeover is complete.
The 6 Week Body Make over program (6WBMO) provides you with an eating plan for each meal, tailored for your metabolism, such that you will lose up to 30 pounds in 6 weeks. It details how to use the right foods, combinations, and amounts at the right time of day to force your metabolism to run faster, burning more of the food you feed it as fuel and storing less as fat, thus automatically losing body weight.
Anyone taking medication or with special medical conditions should consult a physician or health care specialist before undertaking this aggressive weight loss plan. There is dietary advice in the plan for participants who suffer from hypoglycemia, high or low blood pressure, or food allergies.
There are many testimonials of success in varying degrees with this plan. Some sample comments:
- with time, you don’t miss the salt.
- I found I acquired a taste for the fruits/ veggies.
- there is no dairy and lots of healthy foods water.
- This isn’t the plan for you if you just want “another diet”. This is a life changing thing it is for the serious
- In the 1st 6 wks I lost 30+ lbs. The 1st wk was the hardest, because the plan is so strict.
- I am on my 17th week and I have lost 68.5 lbs.
- Yes it takes time to prepare your food for the week … I cook the week’s meals on Sundays.
- I buy frozen chicken strips.. they are usually the right size for the meal.. I also buy frozen veggies.. I spend no
time at all in the kitchen.
- I am in my sixth day and I have lost 8.5 lb.
- I started the 6WBMO almost 5 weeks ago … I have lost 17 pounds.
The 6 Week Body Makeover is undoubtedly a program that works for many who stick to the regimen. Others feel that it is over-priced for the information that is offered.
The 6 Day Body Makeover
The much more rigorous 6 day mini makeover or ‘mini makeover’ has been developed from the basic 6 week body makeover outlined above. This accelerated weight loss plan is designed to drop the body to a smaller clothing size in 6 days, so it is suitable as a crash project for a special occasion, but is NOT recommended for use on a regular basis. The 6 day body makeover involves 5-6 small meals per day, and 45-60 minutes daily of ‘long, slow distance exercises’ (walking, slow jogging, treadmill, or stationary bike), which it is claimed shifts the body into fat-burning mode.
Much planning and preparation is required, but menus and serving sizes are all mapped out, and recipes are provided. A lot of fish and poultry are on the menu and are including in mid-morning and afternoon snacks.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Jensen, R. K. (1978). Estimation of the biomechanical properties of three body types using a photogrammetric method. Journal of Biomechanics, 11(8), 349-358. link
- Carey, D. G. (2009). Quantifying differences in the “fat burning” zone and the aerobic zone: implications for training. The Journal of Strength Conditioning Research, 23(7), 2090-2095. link
- Zelasko, C. J. (1995). Exercise for weight loss: what are the facts?. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 95(12), 1414-1417. link
Last Reviewed: March 25, 2017